(urth) WK psychological cosmology

aramini1 at cox.net aramini1 at cox.net
Mon Nov 7 20:08:12 PST 2005

I rather liked Chris grafting of a psychological frame for WK - Dante framed the universe as a thing inside God's mind, and this was used by Wolfe in Peace.  It also makes, I think, a bit of interesting play on Andrew Bollen's earlier analysis (forgive me if I am incorrect, it was some time ago) of "the dream [Able's] mother had" as an explanation for how Mag could both be and not be his mother at the same time.  For the realm of dream is a rather special place in our subconscious that actually "takes over" our awareness when we pass into slumber (at least, that's how it seems to us).

I'm still not certain that the boy who fights off highjackers is necessarily Able, just as the girl who goes into childbirth is certainly NOT Able.  They are just more dwellers in the string of Parka.  Able could just as easily be the boy who loses his dog and chokes on a rabbit (although that particular vision accompanies the scene of Toug losing his voice until Arthur/Able retrieves the sword).

Good job, Chris.