(urth) Jonas, Ship, and ships

Josh Young greatoaktree at gmail.com
Mon May 2 16:46:59 PDT 2005

>Hethor mentions the name of his ship (can't remember what it was),
>and Jonas says that his ship was called "The Fortunate Cloud", as
>far as I recall. The idea that there is just one ship only comes up
>in UOTNS, and IMO it's a new idea Wolfe had for UOTNS, not part of
>the earlier volumes. Or maybe this just refers to the Yesod run -
>ie it's the only ship to cross between universes.

I think there's a difference between the Ship and other ships. Sort of
like the difference between "God" and "gods." One is all powerful,
omnipresent... And the others are imitations. *Shrug* Incidentally,
the name of Hethor's ship was "The Quasar."

Although... Now that I think about it, it's possible that the
different areas aboard the Ship (Gunnie, or someone, says that they
tend to keep the crewmen from the same worlds grouped together.) just
refer to the Ship by different names.... Like, On Urth, it's Fortunate
Cloud, maybe on some other world it's Quasar... Etc.

--
~Josh