(urth) Severian on trial

Chris rasputin_ at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 28 10:27:30 PST 2005

You're right, that was a grievous error on my part.

The use of "Briah" is confusing no matter which way you look at it. "Briah"
is one of a few fairly common spellings for the word indicated in Lexicon
Urthus, although the entry there is a little misleading. What "Briah"
actually means, or stands for, changes depending on what you're talking
about. This could be because the qabbalistic traditions are fragmented, or
just because of a general concept shift (in other words, the uses could be
equivalent). In either event "Briah" isn't a sefirot, as Yesod is; the two
are categorically different in a way. In addition, while it's correct that
the whole of the tree of life can be divided into the 4 realms as
Andre-Driussi shows, it's also true that *each individual sefirot* can
equally be divided into the four realms; you might say that each sphere has
its own path of energy down from the divine. On this picture of things it is
indeed confusing, because the name you would expect for the physical realm
is "Assiah"; "Briah" is a higher "archangelic" realm.

This can make a certain amount of sense if you choose to see Briah as a
higher realm, because in Briah there is an archangel of mercy named Tzadkiel
who is part of a matched pair with the archangel of "severity", Sammael.

Now for the qualification: Nutria has shared on the list that Wolfe says
that while the names were "plucked" from the qabbalah (indicating that there
probably is at least something *appropriate* about the names), he didn't
intend a "larger spin" or that these terms would be the key to interpreting
the book. So there are limits to how far this can be taken. I do think that
the qabbalistic names that he chose to pluck were chosen because of their
appropriateness to what they were naming; if this is the case then a
materialistic/literalist interpretation would make "Malkhut" the obvious
choice for Urth's universe, with "Assiah" as a close second.

Thanks for reminding me of all this.
Regards,
Civet