(urth) TWK: Mag & Stuff I Don't Understand About Dragons

Alan Lewis alanarc at frontiernet.net
Sun Mar 27 07:33:18 PST 2005

I agree with Andrew that Mag is not Art's mother, for the same reasons he
gives.

> That leads in a tenuous kind of way to Stuff I Don't Understand
>
> 2. Why doesn't Setr keep women on Glas as sailor-bait any more?

My guess on this one is Setr stopped the practice because he trapped Mag up
there, which in the future will lead to a scenario where he has Art discover
her remains up there.  I think it possible Setr was thinking that far ahead
to try to manipulate Art, but Art gets much bigger than Setr anticipates and
winds up much harder to control.

> 3. Why do Art and Setr have to battle their way up the stairs of
> the Tower of Glas? Why doesn't Setr simply reveal himself to the
> Khimarae and tell them to scram?

This answer I'm almost sure of -- because he doesn't want Art to know who he
is.  In the form of Garsceg he's got a pretty good chance of manipulating
Art into helping him take over Aelfrice.  With his cover blown, it becomes
much harder, as we see.

> 4. Art asks Uri towards the end of Knight how Setr expects him to
> kill Kulili, when Setr + a host of Aelf couldn't do it? (How would
> you go about killing Kulili anyway?) He says he knows the answer to
> his question, but I don't. Setr is terrified of Art after his
> healing; so why did he heal him? Even if Art did kill her, wouldn't
> it be a net loss for Setr - replacing one threat by a stronger one?
> Why didn't he just eat Art when he was weak?

Only in retrospect does it become obvious that Art would become a threat to
Setr.  Keep in mind Setr seems to be locked into a stand-off with Kulili for
a long time, and bringing in Art is his attempt to tip the balance with a
wild card.  Of course he wants Art to be as strong as possible, and it helps
that Art is coming from Mythgathr also.  I don't know for sure how Art
thinks he can kill Kulili, but my guess is it would involve him using his
power as an Overcyn and becoming as big as Kulili before he fights her.  As
we know, he doesn't defeat her, and we know he doesn't break his promise to
the Valfather at that time, so I think that supports the case also, since he
didn't want to win.

Alan