(urth) Re: Crush on trial

Tony Ellis tonyellis69 at btopenworld.com
Wed Mar 23 11:45:27 PST 2005

I wrote:
>And what about all the generations who *will* be born on Urth if the
>New Sun doesn't come? Not to mention all those born on all the other
>worlds to which humanity is transplanted after Urth dies. Don't they
>count?

Crush countered:
>Who's to say humanity would have been transplanted?

Master Ashe says.

"At this time, many of your people are already gone," Master Ashe
continued. "Those you call the cagogens have mercifully carried them to
fairer worlds. Many more will leave before the final victory of the ice.
I am myself, you see, descended from those refugees." TCOTA. Chapter
XVII

Humanity does not die if Severian fails to bring the New Sun. It is
taken to better worlds, where it continues.

Severian’s murder of millions can’t be said to preserve any more unborn
generations than Ozymandias’ murder of thousands.

>since you believe the ratios are significant, I hope I have shown
>that Severian does okay against Ozymandias...

Well, no. See above.