(urth) In defense of Watchman, Severian

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 22:47:03 PST 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:30:39 -0500, Alan Lewis <alanarc at frontiernet.net> wrote:

> Watchman is problematic perhaps because it
> lacks a perfect protaganist that we know we're supposed to identify with.

I disagree: I think we are to identify with both Nite Owls, possibly both
Silk Spectres, and definitely the folks on the street corner.

> But if people really want to know what Moore thinks of fascism, you should
> read the (I think) vastly superior though less famous V is For Vendetta.

AMEN! And also Miracleman - the three together form a sort of trilogy about
heroes and what they do to us.

> And I think the worthy Dan'l is being disingenuous in calling Dune fascist,
> then seeming surprised that the lovers of the book feel offended.  Let's
> keep the term fascist for books that more clearly deserve it, like Starship
> Troopers <g>.

Yeah, I'm being disingenuous.

But ST facist? A book that clearly opposes racism among humans? That
takes a stand against military conscription?

--Dan'l

--
You probably do not want to know what that odor is.
http://www.livejournal.com/users/sturgeonslawyer