(urth) Re: Increate on trial

stoneox17 at aol.com stoneox17 at aol.com
Thu Mar 31 08:49:23 PST 2005

 Roy C. Lackey  writes:

>   Adam wrote:
> >But no bigger a problem than those in the real world who died before
> Jesus's
> >birth. For that matter, the inhabitants of Urth are virtually all
damned
> >anyway. There was a discussion about whether Christianity existed in
Sev's
> >day a long time ago on the list, but I don't recall what conclusion
was
> >reached, if any; but if there are any Christians still around,
they're
> >surely a very small minority.

> Agreed.

Isn't there some dispute about what happened to those who died before
Jesus
was born?  Jesus' own words from the Bible:

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, the hour is coming, and now is, when
the dead
shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live"
(John 5:25).

Doing a little searching on the web, it seems "dead" in this passage is
often
interpreted as "dead of spirit" and not "dead in the grave," but I
don't know
what Wolfe's take on this would be.  Until a few months ago, I would
have said
that Peace showed Wolfe thought the dead could still be saved, but
since I
recently saw an interview where he explicitly denied having intended
Weer to
be in Purgatory when he wrote it (although he didn't actually disagree
with
this interpretation), I'm now not sure where he stands.

> >I've never really understood how Christian readers of Wolfe can take
the
> >Christian imagery surrounding the New Sun at face value, ignoring
the fact
> >that unlike Jesus, it brings not salvation but indiscriminate death
and
> >damnation.

> >(Incidentally, I don't like the idea that the Sun cycle takes place
in a
> >previous universe either -- I'd like to believe that it was
something Wolfe
> >dreamed up after the fact, so I could reject it with a clear
conscience --
> >but since Wolfe did say it, I feel I have to take it into account.)

> Maybe Wolfe placed the Sun cycle in a previous universe in an attempt
> dodge the problem presented by the Incarnation that I mentioned. But
both
> Newton and Einstein would frown on uncaused effects -- those Christian
> symbols.

Stone Ox