(urth) OT: watchmen on trial

maru marudubshinki at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 15:37:21 PST 2005

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:

>>Herbert's initial impulse in writing Dune was to write a criticism of
>>Messiah figures, from Jesus to JFK, showing that one SHOULDN'T follow
>>them.
>>

>Correct.

Yep. There's pretty much a complete consensus about that, from Herbert,
O"Reilly and beyond.

>>Illustrating their actions, in the case of Dune, isn't the same as condoning
>>those actions.
>>

>Also correct. However, it is a fascist book in that it is set in a world in
>which the basic assumptions of facism (and especially the leader
>principle) all turn out to be true. It does so to critique those
>assumptions - to show how badly things would turn out if they were
>true - but nonetheless, in the _Dune_ universe-of-discourse, they
>are true.
>
>Perhaps the problem is that when I say it is a fascist book people
>think I'm dissing it.

You *are* likening it to one of the most notorious, evil political
ideologies that ever was, and
labelling it a member.  It is rather understandable why 'people' would
think you are dissing it.

~Maru
What I'd like to hear is your take on the 'Foundation' series : )