(urth) Wolfe the closet Gnostic. (or, "Gene I hardly gnew ye.")

Kieran Mullen kieran at ou.edu
Fri Jun 24 14:33:00 PDT 2005

Begin forwarded message:

> If Wolfe were determined to avoid the chance of people thinking he was
> endorsing the
> Gnosticsm then he should have avoided making Silk so appealing or
> naming his hero
> in The New Sun after a Gnostic sect.
>
> ~ Crush

    It is this sort of postmodern meta-analysis that I find most
annoying.

    First, Gnostic is such a syncretic and malleable tradition that it
is possible to read it into almost anything in which a powerful ruling
figure is overthrown by appealing to a more benign, more powerful
figure.

     Second, Severian's name was chosen 13 years before Silk was
created.   Do you think that when Wolfe set out to create a character
that people whose wardrobe fans would emulate at sci-fi cons, he
intended to write a pro-Gnostic work over a decade later?

     Third, do you think Wolfe, the author of such works as "The
Detective of Dreams" and "Westwind," would write a pro-Gnostic set of
novels?

     Fourth, why should having an appealing hero make him necessarily
pro-Gnostic?   Isn't Silk closer to Moses than to Christ?

     Fifth, name play gets a bit silly.   Silk was common in New
Testament times, and was called "damask", since it was manufactured in
Damascus.  No doubt by choosing the name "Silk", Wolfe was making an
allusion to the role Syria plays in international terrorism.

     Sixth...  Oh well.  You get the point.

       Kieran Mullen