(urth) Re: "There Are Doors"

Dan autarch at vippn.com
Thu Jun 16 06:58:22 PDT 2005

>On Jun 2, 2005, at 7:34 PM, Dan wrote:
>
> > Oddly enough, i just finished reading There Are Doors this morning.
> >
> > It was the best Philip K. Dick novel I ever read that was not written
> > by Philip K. Dick.
> >
> > What of Mr. Klamm's relationship to Mr. Green? Same guy at two
> > different times or just two different blokes in the same circumstances
> > (only one is beginiing his pursuit and the other nearing the end)?
>
>Hi,
>
>It's been a while since I've read it so I won't answer this here, but,
>if you haven't already, read _The Castle_ by Kafka.  It really deepens
>the experience, and a lot of things will fall into different
>perspectives..
>
>enjoy,
>Adrian

Thanks Adrian. Though Kafka's been highly recommended before, I just never
got around to reading him. The new translation sounds interesting.

I seem to be accumulating a list of prerequisites needed to expand my
appreciation of Wolfe and reveal the subtleties of his works. It currently
includes learning Latin and getting a Master's in Classic Mythology!

From: "Chris" <rasputin_ at hotmail.com:

   Klamm could best be described as a priest (perhaps the high priest) of
>Cybele/Rhea. The same could be said to be true of Green, but Green is also
>supposedly Attis/Dionysus. Since the priests of Cybele actually emulate
>Attis, there's obviously going to be a close, apparent relationship there.
>But I think we are led to believe that Green is "the real deal", so to
>speak.

I was thinking of the way Klamm refers to Green as Herr K and his later
apology and explanation as to why. It just seemed like one of those weird
moments like in 2001 where Dave Bowman turns around and sees his older self
lying in bed. If that was the case, interesting that Klamm didn't try to
warn him off his pursuit, or that Green was so blinded by desire that he
didn't have the insight to deduce Klamm's identity.

Dan