(urth) Shaving Clones

Stanisław Bocian sbocian at poczta.fm
Sat Jun 25 12:44:43 PDT 2005

Saturday, June 25, 2005, 8:44:53 PM, James Wynn wrote:

JW> It is not self-evident that Tussah is a clone of Typhon,
JW> and many (possibly most) readers find nothing askance in Tussah's "son not
JW> of my body" declaration.

JW> So, naturally, the most reasonable assumption for those is that a rather
JW> incestuous "clone theory" (there's Severian and his grandmother again)
JW> is a cop-out...that I devised a curly-whorly yarn out of Himalayan thin air
JW> rather than carefully examine the text of the books for Wolfe's true
JW> intent. The opposite is true, but if one sees nothing wrong with Tussah's
JW> "son" declaration, then he is never going to abandon the "spiritual son of
JW> Tussah" reading regardless of how cozily I can show that an alternate
JW> reading fits the story and that the "obvious" reading does not.

I must note that implanting an embryo which is genetically not related
neither to mother not to father is perhaps rare, but it is a really
happening infertility treatment. If you maintain that implanted
genetically uncognate embryo cannot be someone's son, and if this is
the whole argument, it seems to me rather weak.

--
    Stanisław Bocian