(urth) Send in the Clones

Chris rasputin_ at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 23 16:56:45 PDT 2005

I agree with both you and Crush that there is a Gnostic element *there*
regardless - that's the reason I find the possible relation to the Trinity
to be problematic. A "parody" of the Trinity suggests a cosmological
framework that's something like this (this is a rough, quick sketch so
please don't kill me):

You have the Outsider standing "outside" from on high, and the Demiurge in
control. The Trinity then springs from the Demiurge, but the Trinity is
subverted from the Demiurge's purpose by the Outsider, thus becoming a
genuine instrument for good. If you take this *seriously* you're drawn to
the inference that the Gnostic elements in this book are an intended
parallel to real cosmological principles, including a strongly heretical (to
Catholic orthodoxy) suggestion of the Demiurge somehow standing necessarily
in between the relation of man and God.

The difference thematically is in what role the Gnostic elements are
supposed to play in the story. On a "standard" or "naive" reading you can
place them as Typhon's attempt to have his way - but the Gnostic structure
is overturned by the Creator and, in effect, cancelled out. Going the extra
step and putting forward a Trinity which springs from the demiurge creates a
stronger (and different) symbolic connection with theology and the story
begins to *mean* something different, in a way that legitimizes at least
some important aspects of that Gnostic structure.

re: the "rationalizing" Crush was talking about, as a simple device of
showing how a 3-in-1 nature can work it may actually be somewhat
inoffensive, but the minute you make that device central you call up these
symbolic connections - which I can't help but think Wolfe would have wanted
to avoid, even if he is not exactly the Voice of Orthodoxy.