(urth) Severian's skin color

Chris rasputin_ at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 20 15:33:58 PDT 2005

I can think of another way to read this than an implication that the Rajan
should go back and meet Typhon. Basically Pas was Typhon, but became
something a little different (and perhaps a little more). Recall that Silk
at this point is maybe not the original, but comes from "Silver Silk" which
supplanted Pas, but probably incorporated at least some elements from Pas.
Thus in a certain way the Rajan *is*, or is descended from, Typhon.

So the Rajan, as a stand-in for Typhon, fittingly gets to visit Severian in
his formative years. Though of course whatever influence he exerts over
Severian is not what the original Typhon would have chosen.