(urth) Severian's skin color

Sarah Dorrance-Minch isobelwren at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 17 20:33:18 PDT 2005

--- don doggett <kingwukong at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ah, yes.  This brings me to something I had nearly
> forgotten.  I'm assuming you're implying that Typhon
> is Sev's father

No, I was under the impression that the waiter Ouen is
in fact his biological father. I recently took the
pairing _Sword and Citadel_ from the library, and I
remember reading near the end of _Citadel of the
Autarch_ that Ouen had fair hair. At least I hope I
read that right. I will confess that my short term
memory can sometimes be almost as bad as Dori's memory
(the Imperial Blue Tang fish in Finding Nemo, who
"suffers from short term memory loss")

I find this alternative interpretation of Severian's
parentage intriguing, although it's warping my mind.
All right, I admit it, my brain cells aren't turning
the hamster wheel of my mind fast enough today. What's
the rationale behind it?

Oddly, I don't find it all that odd that one of
Severian's closest love interests was his dead
grandmother. I'm afraid to ask myself what that says
about me.

Sarah Dorrance-Minch
(in SCA, THL Isobel Wren, called "Midori")

Mother to Sophie and Liesl and militant lactivist cult member