(urth) Re: "There Are Doors"

Adrian Robert arobert at cogsci.ucsd.edu
Thu Jun 16 11:01:44 PDT 2005

On Jun 16, 2005, at 9:58 AM, Dan wrote:
>> On Jun 2, 2005, at 7:34 PM, Dan wrote:
>>
>> > Oddly enough, i just finished reading There Are Doors this morning.
>> >
>> > It was the best Philip K. Dick novel I ever read that was not
>> written
>> > by Philip K. Dick.
>> >
>> > What of Mr. Klamm's relationship to Mr. Green? Same guy at two
>> > different times or just two different blokes in the same
>> circumstances
>> > (only one is beginiing his pursuit and the other nearing the end)?
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> It's been a while since I've read it so I won't answer this here, but,
>> if you haven't already, read _The Castle_ by Kafka.  It really deepens
>> the experience, and a lot of things will fall into different
>> perspectives..
>>
>> enjoy,
>> Adrian
>

> Thanks Adrian. Though Kafka's been highly recommended before, I just
> never got around to reading him. The new translation sounds
> interesting.

New translation, hmm..  I just read part of it at Amazon:

Old (Willa and Edwin Muir)
----
It was late in the evening when K. arrived.  The village was deep in
snow.  The Castle hill was hidden, veiled in mist and darkness, nor was
there even a glimmer of light to show that a castle was there.  On the
wooden bridge leading from the main road to the village, K. stood for a
long time gazing into the illusory emptiness above him.

New (Mark Harman)
----
It was late evening when K. arrived.  The village lay under deep snow.
There was no sign of the Castle hill, fog and darkness surrounded it,
not even the faintest gleam of light suggested the large Castle.  K.
stood for a long time on the wooden bridge that leads from the main
road to the village, gazing upward into the seeming emptiness.

I can't say I much care for the new one myself, but, more pertinently,
this sort of evident freedom of the translator to determine the whole
tone of the text sometimes discourages one from reading translations at
all!  But short of learning German, you should definitely read several
pages of every translation you can find and pick the one that suits
yourself, regardless of which is supposedly "better" according to
current fashion or anyone's opinion.

(Especially when that opinion as in lauding the new translation speaks
of preserving the "author's intentions", a ludicrous ideal, when the
author was still editing (and writing!) the works when he died, and
indeed deemed them so unfinished and unworthy as to request the
manuscripts all be burned immediately.)

Anyway, your message talked me into scrounging up some Philip K. Dick
(additional to DADOES), which at least won't have these problems..

Adrian