(urth) gene wolfe and cyberpunk

thapaguru thapaguru at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 12 21:19:22 PDT 2005

I doubt Wolfe is cyberpunk. CP mainly deals with a
near future or alternate reality where technology has
created a bizarre society or people. His main works
are either set so far in the future that the trappings
of modern society no longer exists (BoNS,LS,SS), or in
the distant and mythological past (TWK, Latro). There
Are Doors is somewhat in the present, but it's purely
a Philip K. Dick writing excercise, and it's more of
an alternate universe than cyber-related.

Oshii isn't of a Christian or American/European
background. I bet his stuff would mean much more to a
person familiar with Japanese
culture/traditions/beliefs. I believe your take on
Wolfe to be another ode to the man's aptitude at
creating a flexible framework for us to bring
experiences and thoughts to.

Thapa