SV: (urth) cthulhu mythos, BotNS

Sarah Dorrance-Minch isobelwren at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 7 19:45:12 PDT 2005

--- Andy Robertson <andywrobertson at clara.co.uk> wrote:

> I honestly don't think there is much direct
> reference.

I can't see any either.

(By way of introduction: Hi, my name's Sarah, my SCA
friends call me Midori which I prefer anyway; I
discovered Gene Wolfe and the Timescape books last
year, totally by accident, and got hooked. My husband,
much to my amusement, when he saw me reading something
called _In The Shadow of the Torturer_, asked me,
"What's that? A romance novel?" but he got a little
more interested when I clobbered him over the head
with the book and told him that it was anthropological
science fiction.)

> Wolfe has many non-omnipotent "gods" of this type:
> Erebus and Abia are
> godlike in their power as far as humans are
> concerned, but there is nothing
> really supernatural about them.

I would LOVE to see a cross-over written by Wolfe and
Steven Brust. I have no idea how Vlad Taltos and
Severian the Lame would encounter each other, although
I imagine it would probably not be on Urth since I
can't see Vlad travelling off his own planet; but
there are certain similarities. Gods that aren't
supernatural (or really even gods, but might as well
be). A mixture of science and magic. Interesting
antiheroes who are a lot nicer inside than they think
they are (the Han Solo syndrome, if you want to call
it that). Interesting backstory in the form of made-up
myths and legends.

Midori/Sarah

Ah, love couldst thou and I conspire/ To grasp this sorry scheme of things entire/ Would we not break it all to bits, and then/ Remold it nearer to the heart's desire - Omar Khayyam

Reach me a gentian, give me a torch
let me guide myself with the blue, forked torch of this flower
down the darker and darker stairs, where blue is darkened on blueness.
 - D.H. Lawrence, "Bavarian Gentians"