(urth) PEACE

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Wed Jun 29 22:30:25 PDT 2005

Maru wrote:
>>One, I take the taoist Tale of the Jade Pillow, and the whole book is
simply Den's imaging whilst his Aunt negotiates for the Egg (or
earlier.) This makes the book fairly straightforward, with none of the
more exotic possibilities I've seen mentioned in the archives, such as
Weer-as-mass-murderer, Weer-as-dead-narrator (which I didn't notice at
all.),<<

This is old hat, but the first sentence of the book lets you know Weer is
dead. That is, you know he's dead if you remember Mrs. Porter's hobby and
that her maiden name was Bold. There was a big discussion about PEACE here
during the last four months of 2000.

[snip]

>>What exactly I am at a loss to say.  I have a vague intuition that
there was something less than licit about Weer's sudden restoration to
wealth (he mentions at least twice that the family fortune was lost,
and that he was poor in his fifties, but became even more wealthy than
ever in his sixties; why he does not say.), and this may be connected,
but there is no 'smoking pocket knife', to twist a phrase. Has anyone
else thought along these lines and hunted down a more satisfactory
conclusion?<<

Weer became personally wealthy when Smart died and left the juice plant to
him. There is no reason to suppose that Smart's death was other than of
natural causes. And, just to maintain my penchant for pedantry, Weer was "a
poor man at forty, and a very rich one at fifty". You can find a timeline
for PEACE here, but be forewarned that I am biased about it. <g>

http://www.siriusfiction.com/peacetimeline.html

Salaam, indeed
-Roy