(urth) Who's in Oreb

Chris rasputin_ at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 26 13:51:06 PDT 2005

To take an opportunity to return to my own speculation from earlier, this
whole exchange reinforces my original conviction that the Rajan at that
point had access to, or had currently assimilated, some elements of Pas -
this can be the only real source of his confidence in asserting he could
have told her differently. And again this points to the possibility that he
knew full well who Severian was.

As far the dispute that's going on here, while Dan'l is correct about the
strict semantic content of the exchange, I think he's incorrect in assuming
that Scylla would know her father better. She was a *child*, and
realistically how long was it before you really understood your own parents?
I have to admit for my own part that I am still discovering things I never
understood about my father until I reached adulthood. And Scylla's exposure
to her father was likely to be quite minimal due to his position, as well -
not to mention her personal resentment is going to interfere.

In any event I thought we were generally agreed that Typhon did not
associate personal identity with electrical impulses capable of uploading,
so the presence of Pas on the Whorl, embodied or not, would never have
served to satisfy any desire to personally lord it over the colony because
Typhon would not have considered Pas to be Typhon. So the Rajan seems to be
on fairly solid ground here.