(urth) Severian's skin color

Chris rasputin_ at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 23 13:44:43 PDT 2005

Crush said:
>Thematically, I consider it very important.  Tussah=Typhon means that
>Tussah;s and Pas's murder that happened at about the same are
>connected so far as the story goes. Much has been made of Pas's
>possible intentions for Silk. It shows that Pas' original plan did not
>include Silk. Silk came later, after things went awry. If Silk is
>genetically
>Horn's son, then the fact that the Rajan is simultaneously Silk, Horn, and
>Horn the Neighbor builds on the theme of rationalizing the Holy Trinity
>which Wolfe takes at many levels in The Short Sun.

This is the kind of thing I was talking about, and I do think there's a very
big thematic problem here. You are suggesting that Wolfe is "rationalizing"
the Holy Trinity by deriving it from Typhon, who is on several levels *the
Demiurge*. Perhaps you can justify this, I don't know, but any attempt to
work this into the theme changes the implications of the entire series from
top to bottom - and, as far as I can tell, not for the better. It seems like
you'd be left with nothing but a sort of Gnostic pamphlet piece.

This isn't the only way the clone angle can be explored, of course, but it
seems like many of the Clone Interpretations that have been proposed tend to
center the theme on this one aspect at the direct cost of turning other
aspects into mere farce, or simply discounting them.