(urth) posting conventions (was GW and CP)

David Kirby dbkirby at pressroom.com
Tue Jun 21 13:07:32 PDT 2005

Dan wrote:

> Sorry David, chastisement duly noted. I'll avoid any non-contextual
> abbreviations in the future. Coming across an acronym without any prior
> attribution annoys me as well.
>
> Maru explained it better than I, since I wouldn't have thought to
> include the wiki links. Thanks Maru!

No problem. I'm just glad to get an answer.

Hey, you think you need chastised . . . .

I haven't looked at e-mail recently -- this is the first time since
I sent my note. I sent the earlier message both without sleep and in
the middle of a move. Which is to say --

Maru (and Jeff Wilson) called me on the top- vs. bottom-posting claim
I made, and they are both absolutely correct. *PLEASE* bottom post
rather than top post! ("Interleaving" is better than either -- the one
thing I got correct in my rant!) I don't know how my brain's synapses
managed to flip top- and bottom-, but they did. As authors say in
their "thanks to others" acknowledgments, I take full responsibility
for the mistakes made by my synapses.

I used to be an anime fan, some 20 years ago when I knew others who
were anime fans. I obviously haven't seen much recently. My loss.

On an unrelated but Wolfeian note: Do "chastise" and "chaste" share a
common root? I can think of a number of jokes if they do. The only hint
of such a connection that my _Random House Unabridged Dictionary_
(2d ed.) provides is this under "chastise": "3. _Archaic._ to restrain;
chasten. 4. _Archaic._ to refine, purify." Otherwise, the dictionary
traces "chastise" to Middle English and "chaste" to Middle English by
way of Old French by way of Latin. I haven't a clue.

Thanks for letting my abase myself!

       -- David

"It is possible I already had some presentiment of my future."
== Gene Wolfe, Shadow of the Torturer
                          David B. Kirby, dbkirby at pressroom.com