(urth) Severian's skin color

don doggett kingwukong at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 19 16:59:10 PDT 2005

--- Sarah Dorrance-Minch <isobelwren at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I find this alternative interpretation of Severian's
> parentage intriguing, although it's warping my mind.
> All right, I admit it, my brain cells aren't turning
> the hamster wheel of my mind fast enough today.
> What's
> the rationale behind it?

It's been discounted by most people on the list, but
the rationale  in a nutshell is the parallels between
Sev's life and Ymar's, clues in the Tale of Frog
(sorry, my  books are on unintentionaly permanent loan
- I  should know better by now.)  And the fact that
Sev's confrontation with Typhon reflects the hero's
confrontation with his father in Joseph Campbell's
whatever-you-call-it theory. Here's the links to my
argument from long ago.
http://www.urth.net/urth/archives/v0303/3022.txt.shtml
and
http://www.urth.net/urth/archives/v0303/3023.txt.shtml