SV: (urth) cthulhu mythos, BotNS

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Fri Jun 3 17:22:12 PDT 2005

Andy Robertson wrote:

> nastler writes:
>
>> Small point; The book 17 Megatherians dosn't go in the
>> sabertache, it stays in the library. The "corrupting"
>> influence on Sev probably comes to him through Thecla,
>> who is a good bet for having read 17 Megs...
>> I'd like to hear more discussion about the Great Old
>> Ones / Elder Gods. I think it's only been referenced
>> before, not chewed to the marrow the way things are
>> usually done on this list....  :-)
>> nastler
>

> I honestly don't think there is much direct reference.
> However, Lovecraft's "Old Ones" were really non-supernatural alien
> entities of such power that they could not be distinguished from gods,
> from the human perspective.
> It's arguable that he was the first really influential writer to do this
> - to address the idea of gods, from a rigorously non-supernatural
> perspective.
> Wolfe has many non-omnipotent "gods" of this type: Erebus and Abia are
> godlike in their power as far as humans are concerned, but there is
> nothing really supernatural about them.

Perhaps; they are certainly an order of being below that of the
Pancreator, but they and their servants have qualities and insights into
  the divine truth beyond that of mere mortals, even if they attmpet to
deny that truth. Lovecraft's axioms in the background of his Mythos
stories do not admit a difference in kind of the natural world and the
supernatural forces at work, only that the fallible human mind calls the
parts of nature that escape its full grasp "supernatural" and that the
nature of these ancient beings are so alien that the mind destructivetly
fails in its attempt to perceive their character.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >