(urth) The eyes of a clone

thalassocrat at nym.hush.com thalassocrat at nym.hush.com
Sun Jul 31 21:14:56 PDT 2005

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 19:44:41 -0700 mournings glory
<mourningsglory at hotmail.com> wrote:
>But not only is there a ship on the door, there's a rose and a
>fountain--and
>if ever two symbols clashed with what we know of Ymar, it's these.

>Remember
>his nickname? As we learn in _Urth_ it's Reechy, because as the
>future first
>autarch tells Severian (and grinning no less, as if he's proud of
>the fact),
>"It's because I stink." (p 268). So please tell me how a symbol
>connected
>with water, cleanliness and purity, as well as a flower known for
>its lovely
>smell, comes to be associated with someone who, because he's
>foresworn
>bathing of any kind, is anything but roselike.

Well, I don't think he's actually "foresworn bathing of any kind".
In winter it's hard for a servant boy of the proto-torturers to
wash. I doubt that he'll still be known as "Reechy" once he becomes
the first Autarch.

The rose & fountain are symbols of renewal, which on this story of
course would have come to Ymar from Sev's brief mission in the
proto-Matachin Tower.