(urth) Lexicon Urthus

Chris rasputin_ at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 22 18:37:31 PDT 2005

This is indeed good news, although I am more interested in the long term
(expanded, corrected version) than in the short term (I am not *quite*
fanatical enough to spend $30 on spiralbound photocopies just to have it
right this second).

Someone mentioned Doctorow, and there's certainly something to be said for
that kind of publishing in principle, but to throw in my two cents: just
because it works for one person (and in one genre) doesn't mean it will for
another. Doctorow's expected audience is not the same as that of LU, even if
there is some overlap. One has to respect the author's knowledge of his
field and his audience; if he doesn't want to distribute on the same model
as Doctorow it is because his *professional* opinion that it isn't for the
best.

That said, I think the *availability* of an electronic format opens up
enticing possibilities when it comes to Wolfe's work and the related
materials. The ability to make citations and to look up vaguely-remembered
counterpoints makes a huge difference in the kind of arguments we have here.

Actually even though I love paper books and insist on having physical copies
of the books I love, a serious argument could be made that the lasting
*value* I'd get out of an electronic version would be at least as much, or
more, than I'd get out of the paper version.