(urth) TWK questions and answers

James Wynn thewynns at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 4 06:05:53 PST 2005

>I rather liked Idnn as a character and believe her agreeing to marry King
>Gilling is every bit as noble, selfless and dutiful as anything Able, Svon
>or Toug do in their various undertakings as knights aspirant.

And that was Wolfe's point right? That honor and courage are more than just
carrying a weapon against overwhelming odds or protecting your reputation --
although that might be part of the duties of honor too. It is about giving
up what you would really want (including potentially a long life) for the
benefit of others. When Able refuses to carry a sword when he knows it will
go against him in being taken seriously as a knight, that is honor. When he
rebuffs sex with willing women for his love for Disiri, that is honor. And
when Idnn (although terrified) takes on the mantle of the duties of being
King Gilling's wife -- guarding his life and well-being when it would be
better for her if he died -- that is honor and that is why Valfather comes
to visit her.

>I just
>found it hard to buy the notion that a brief marriage, not known to
>be consummated, would be taken as conferring authority on a
>foreigner. And maybe I missed why the female Angrborn live apart,
>and why the males prefer human women.

Male and female giants live apart just as male and female elephants live
apart.

They accept her as her queen as a matter of honor.  Furthermore, I don't
think you can map human relations to the giants. The mothers don't love
their sons. In fact, they are presumably contemptible to them. The male
giants are attracted to human women because they ARE NOT giants.

>Any thoughts on why the blood of the Angrborn is full of parasites?   Aside
>from just making them seeem extra vile??

It is taken from the myth of the death of Ymir. Men were formed from the
maggots that formed on his corpse. So when Giants die their corpses are
covered with creepy-crawlies.

~ Crush