(urth) Gilling's killer (was Re: The Wizard - questions -- answers (spoiler))

David DiGiacomo david at slack.com
Mon Jan 3 22:45:27 PST 2005

>From: "Russell Wodell" <wrustle at telus.net>
>
>What would be Sir Garvaon's motive for killing Gilling? (Rhyme
>unintentional) And why would Wolfe conceal this for so long?

Jealousy.  Garvaon loved Idnn, and was obviously a more worthy suitor than
either the monstrous Gilling or the cowardly Svon.

It wasn't concealed for very long, as Wolfe's puzzles go.

>For this and other reasons, I am fairly certain that Iddn is the murderer.

When Able says that the killer cannot be punished, Garvaon is dead, but
Idnn is still alive.

>She agreed to marry Gilling to achieve power, which she maintains with her
>army of giantesses, but killed him because sexual congress would mean her
>death either in coitus or in giving birth to a giant, as Wolfe makes
>gruesomely explicit.

I wondered about that, since I don't remember another mention of the
mothers of the Mice having difficult births.

Of course, I don't understand why the human women wouldn't take simple
precautions to avoid pregnancy.  Based on Wolfe's peculiarly graphic
descriptions, the giants wouldn't notice or care.