(urth) (no subject)

Chris rasputin_ at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 27 14:23:57 PST 2005

Well, with regard to 5HC note that if the idea that abos can't use tools,
then Veil's hypothesis seems hopelessly naive. Does Veil know something (ie,
that popular wisdom is wrong and abos can use tools) that others do not? She
did spend some time studying her subject. Perhaps the second and third
novellas are naive, based on a folktale conception of the abos. If *that*
were the case, then in all likelihood V.R.T. is not an abo, but would like
to imply that he is.

With regard to Turing, what you just described is basically a semantic
struggle. Defining intelligence, as you say, "extensionally" (although this
really isn't quite right, I see what you're trying to say). "If it looks
like a duck, and quacks like a duck..." To which Searle can be seen
volleying (again, mostly semantically): no, it doesn't matter what it looks
like, intelligence is the product of a specific biological process and
machines can't have it, by definition, no matter what they do or "say". The
part that any empirical test or evidence plays in this debate is much
smaller than it might appear. The empirical test, of course, appears as a
product of having already accepted Turing's position.

I think that ultimately the tool-using test you're talking about, if
implemented in a way that actually worked, would be more or less the same as
a standard test. Here you would have to be concerned with what constitutes a
"use" of a tool, and be able to quantify between more and less intelligent
uses for the tool, which involves "imaginitiveness" and "logical potential".
Not to mention that sometimes it is more intelligent not to use a tool than
to use it. (And language is as good a tool as any...)