(urth) Ormsby, Michael

mournings glory mourningsglory at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 15 19:59:42 PST 2005

>From: "Andrew Bollen" <abollen at internode.on.net>

>Could have missed it, but haven't noticed anyone giving the place name
>definition of "Ormsby" courtesy of google: "Village of the Worm/Dragon".
>(The real Ormsby in northern England is apparently more likely to have been
>founded by a Viking named Orm, ie Dragon, apparently a common enough name
>for Vikings.)

>"Art Ormsby" then translates to "Art from Dragonville".

At the end of _The Knight_ Able (since this is the only name we know him by)
hears "a wind [soughing] among the treetops, chanting a thousand names.
Among them, both of mine." But how does Ormsby (since Arthur must be the
other name) fit in with Walewein, Wace, Vortigern, Kyot, Yvain, Gottfried,
Eilhart, Palamedes, Duach, Tristan, Albrecht, and Caradoc? Is there anywhere
in Arthurian literature a character named Ormsby? (This seems suggested by
the pedigree/provenance of the listed names.) And who or what is actually
chanting these various names? Surely, we're not meant to believe it's really
the wind--unless it's the susurrus of Parka's bowstring.

msg