(urth) Ormsby, Michael and Setr

James Wynn thewynns at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 15 09:19:06 PST 2005

>I forogt to mention Setr also. Apparently "r" is an Old Norse masculine
case
>ending. I vaguely recall somebody associating Setr with some figure from
>Norse mythology, but it seem to me that we also have Typhon/Set once again
>as the figure of a tyrant with ambitions to conquer heaven.

Actually, I haven't been able to identify any mythological connection to
"setr". It's Scandinavian for a fisherman's hut or a farm house. I can't
understand the significance unless Wolfe is connecting the term "homestead"
with it's synonym "steading" and from there "one who stands in the place of
another".

I think Arnthor as much like Typhon as Setr except that Setr does have a
"second head" so to speak in the form of Garsecg.

~ Crush