(urth) Berthold at the end

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 10:17:52 PST 2005

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:11:24 -0600, Kieran Mullen <kieran at ou.edu> wrote:

>      When do we stop worrying about spoilers?

The first of this year was the more or less agreement.

>      Ok.  Able heals Berthold at the end.  Wolfe writes that this is
> particularly difficult.

To be fussy, Arthur/Able writes that. Meaning that while Wolfe
actually wrote the words, he wrote them in A's narratorial voice,
which - Wolfe being Wolfe - means we have to consider why he
wrote that and whether it is strictly speaking "true." I think it is
- I think A is the most "reliable" narrator in the Lupine oeuvre -
but we do need to keep these distinctions clear. 8*)

> Of course, I don't understand the relationship between Able and Art
> or Berthold and Ben.

Oh, what a surprise ... Identity issues in a Wolfe novel...

I think that the *first* problem for TWK criticism must be an
understanding of the relationship between Mythgarthr and Earth.

--Dan'l
--
www.livejournal.com/users/sturgeonslawyer
Freedom has no barcode.