(urth) Ending of The Knight

Alan Lewis alanarc at frontiernet.net
Thu Jan 13 05:00:44 PST 2005

>The Wizard Knight series?  I consider this a single novel that is meant to
>be read that way. In a couple years it will no doubt be offered that way.
>Unlike the Latro books, I don't consider it a "series". Does anyone
>disagree with that? Does anyone think the books were intended to be
>ultimately read as self-standing novels?

Now that I have finally caught up, I can contribute to TWK discussion.  I
take exception to the terms posed in this question.  Since Knight and Wizard
the books in the same series, by no means should we expect them to read like
self-standing novels.  If they were, then I would argue they are not so much
books in a series, but books set in the same book-world, like Long Sun/Short
Sun are.

Of course length of material inevitably has a part to play in this.  No
doubt once Wolfe realized his story was going to take at least x many words,
he would have realized he was probably looking to two books for all intents
and purposes.  But I would argue he then wrote them that way, that there are
fundamental differences between the two books.  For one thing, Able
pre-Skai, and Able post-Skai are different characters.  In the first book he
is the true neophyte, a complete outsider; in the second book he is (as
essentially an Overcyn) the ultimate insider, a pro.  In Arthurian terms, in
the first book he is Parsifal, and in the 2nd he is alternatively
Lancelot/Arthur.  In each book he complains at different times that he's
"just a kid."  In the first book we believe this is true, even though the
other characters treat these statements as ironic self-reflection -- when he
complains so in the Wizard, I think we take those statements the same way,
and aren't buying him as a kid anymore.

Also the narrative structure is different in Wizard, with considerable
narrative occurring outside his POV.

So I agree with GW on this one, even though it seems like I have little to
no company.

Alan