(urth) Re: urth-urth.net Digest, Vol 5, Issue 15

aqala at yahoo.com aqala at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 11 11:46:09 PST 2005

>Message: 8
>Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:16:12 -0800 (PST)
>From: stilskin <acronus at yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: (urth) Orwell on Chesterton
>

>--- Andy Robertson <andywrobertson at clara.co.uk> wrote:
>
>I don't think Orwell crossed any kind of critical line
>in what he wrote about Chesterton here; he seems to
>attack him more on political than religious grounds

You can find the text of Orwell’s essay here:
http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks03/0300011.txt

>anyway.  But it was clearly posted in the group as an
>insult to certain members, though I can't claim to
>understand why.  I mean, the religious views of most

So anyone who expresses a view that does not confirm to your own (or
certain members) views than he is bent on insulting? That must make it
easy (very easy) to just dismiss anyone with a different view rather than
engage them!

>active members on this list are well known, as are
>Gene Wolfe's.  Is the poster implying that Wolfe's
>novels have become increasingly stale and polemical as
>his religious and/or political beliefs have found a
>more overt expression in his writing?

You read all that in a post that didn’t even mention Wolfe? No your
interpretation is completely wrong.