(urth) Re: Dreaming, Mag, Able and Art

Andrew Bollen abollen at internode.on.net
Sun Jan 9 03:05:26 PST 2005

Further on Dream, Art & Able ... It seems that you one way you know you're
in Dream is if
you see the the Valfather's "castle like a star" flying through the clouds.
Toug watches it in Dream (p56), as does Art at the start of Knight, on the
hillside as he is surely dreaming.
Elsewhere in Knight, Art dreams he is Able dreaming on a hillside (surely
the same one) as the
castle scuds through the clouds, remembering how he used to live in a place
where there were swords and no cars (p133). I think all this supports the
idea of Art & Able having being swapped, by the Aelf, via Dream.

(Though come to think of it, I guess the swap could have been engineered by
the Overcyn, given the presence of the Valfather's castle ...)

As a bonus, in the Dream chapter in Wizard, there's a gratuitous-seeming
little passage where Art tells Toug that any horse ridden by an Aelf  "will
be one of ours, a horse taken by the Aelf as a man or woman may be." Or
indeed as Able, Art & Toug all have been at one time or another.

Toug is in some ways the most interesting character in the series. Art
identifies with him to a certain extent. In the Dream chapter, he more or
less appoints Toug as his prime agent.  I can't remember who or where, but
one of the characters says that Art sees himself in Toug. Toug is a key
piece in the game played by various parties in the first half of the book to
secure Art's services for their own ends; they recognize Toug's influence
over Art.

I don't think that Toug and Art have any direct physical or psychic
relationship with each other, but I do think Art sees him as a kindred
spirit. More than that, I think Toug is a kind of stand-in for the real
Able, now in America.

One of the things that surprised me about Wizard was that we hear little
about Able. I think we get Toug instead: an exceptionally brave peasant kid
from the same area as Able, also taken by the Aelf & also delivered into a
strange and dangerous world ... Toug fights against great odds, is wounded,
fights on & is further wounded. I think we have to assume the same for Able
in America; we hear of him in America via Art's dreams mainly when he is
hospital after fighting hijackers, in an ambulance and so on.

Toug, unlike Art, is not a figure of destiny; no god-like beings have
moulded him for great tasks and he doesn't have "supernatural" powers. I
think the same would be true of Able in America, and though we don't know
the details I feel sure his experiences there parallel Toug's.