(urth) ending and other stuff WK

James Wynn thewynns at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 6 14:55:07 PST 2005

>there is a passage where
>Able says that all the levels of the WK universe from Mythgarthr on up have
>multiple "places" or "worlds" in them. I believe the context is the
>discussion of how each level is infinite but ten times smaller than the
>level above it, and how the "place" where the Giants of Winter and Old
Night
>live is part of Skai but different from where the Valfather lives. He also
>states that Aelfrice and the levels below it only have one "place" in them,
>if I recall correctly.
>
>America could be another "place" sideways from Mythgarthr.

The definitions of "multiple places" I took to mean that there were other
planets in the universe of Mythgarthr. It is not explained what the separate
region of the Frost Giants is in Skai...whether another planet or some
totally different concept. But if we assume it is somehow analogous to the
separate worlds in Mythgarthr then Mythgarthr's worlds should be
theoretically navigatable *within* Mythgarthr as well.

In Aefrice and below I understood that the sky of Alfrice decended
(infinitely) to the sea of Aelfrice like a dome (as ancient people
understood the cosmos to do). The same would be true for the lower levels.
So there would be no place in the lower levels for other "planets".

It never occurred to me that America could be one of the other "worlds" on
the level of Mythgarthr ala  "parallel dimensions" (rather "worlds" meaning
"planets") but that would make sense too. It would additionally explain why
our world is so much like Mythgarthr.

I wonder if Wolfe ever thought it out this far?

~ Crush