(FWD) Re: (urth) The Wizard - questions -- answers (spoiler)

Nathan Spears spearofsolomon at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 4 12:34:53 PST 2005

Yeah, I think the killing was motivated mainly by bitterness; Idnn was marrying an
unworthy soulless creature for her father's political gain; Garvaon was unaware of
the true nature of the 'gift' to King Gilling until the arrival in Utgard; Idnn
never loved Garvaon, and in fact never knew of his love for her.  I wouldn't say it
was a petty bitterness, but bubbled up from something bordering on anguish.  I
wouldn't even say it was an ignoble deed.  Before the first stabbing, King Gilling
had just murdered a man with his fist, and had ordered what he thought would be the
murders of two knights for his court's amusement.  The final blow was probably less
hot-blooded but no less justified.  The humans were trying to make peace with the
giants because they couldn't kill them all.

But it still wasn't a knightly deed, and one that Idnn would have reviled him for.
Garvaon looked at Able as he died and said something like, "You knew," because Able
was the only one Garvaon had confided in about his love for Idnn, and the only one
would understand all the forces pressuring him to commit such a deed.  It was a
departure from his nature, not an indicator of it; his death wasn't a redemption but
a sign that Garvaon was still a true knight.