(urth) The Wizard - questions -- answers (spoiler)

Nathan Spears spearofsolomon at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 3 11:30:37 PST 2005

> Gilling was attacked both times by Sir Garvaon.

I second that.  Able spells it out a little bit at one point, when he mentions that
the archers who marched out to the battle before the gates of the giants' castle
(can't remember the name) were white-faced not because of their terror of battle,
but because Sir Garvaon had just killed King Gilling (who attempted to get outside
when he heard Idnn but fell down in the inner courtyard) in front of them.

Also, Able refused to tell . . . Arnthor, I think, when pressed, but when Able was
asked if it was because he was afraid for that person's safety, Able said no.
Garvaon was already dead at this point and Able was preserving his honor and memory
(esp with Idnn).

I thought of a couple more questions that I think I need to reread the books to
frame properly.  Here goes anyway:

Several people have mentioned that they thought the green knight Able sees on the
Isle of Glass in The Knight was Arnthor.  I only buy this if you also subscribe to
the 'Able is Arnthor' theory, because Parka said fairly clearly that the only person
on that isle was Able himself.  So, I think the knight was Able after he slew
Grengarm; the description fits, right?  But at what point does he see himself?  He
only visits the Isle once in The Wizard, when he goes to rescue Pouk and them, if I
remember correctly, but there's no mention of the previous episode.  Thoughts?

I have this mind-tickling recollection of Able (in The Knight, referring to a
'future' event) saying he fought a man who was so strong that he nearly broke (or
did break?) Able's ribs during a fight, bear-hugging him.  I thought the reference
was to a fight Able was going to have trying to guard the mountain pass.  Does
anyone else remember this?

Lastly, I thought I remembered Able (again, in The Knight) describing Toug on the
walls of the giants' castle, much as Able himself climbed from window to window.  Of
course, at that point I was envisioning a daring rescue, but even so I don't
remember Toug climbing the walls of Utgard (!  I finally remembered the name) at any
point during The Wizard.

Nate