(urth) Re: urth-urth.net Digest, Vol 5, Issue 41

maru marudubshinki at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 14:08:17 PST 2005

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree here: there are good reasons to think
that our current counsciousness
is fairly low on the intelligence possibilty-totem pole.  (I'm not
talking about any 'c' -ish limit
on intelligence here: as long as current physics hold, intelligences are
limited by the Berkenstein bound
and the Hubble volume.  O' course, the caveat is assuming that physics
as we know it has no loopholes.
But then we're getting into deep anarchism, and I'd rather not go there.
Too many transfinites.)
Consider: human brains are massively parallel. They have to be, since
neurons are limited to 200 hz.
You could very easily bring that up several megs or gigahertz.  Without
any splitting of counsciousness or anything-
subjectively the mind simply has more time.  You can vastly increase the
amount of "stuff" (amount/time is whats relevant) and it makes no
difference.
Caffeine speeds up the brain slightly, and that shows on IQ tests.
Having been 'wired' a few time, I can say my counsciousness
felt as unitary as ever (Unless that's what each split section *wants*
me to think!).  The only way I see greater intelligence
causing a split is if either the communications lag
is so great that each segment thinks enough on its own to be considered
another counsciousness; or if there is so much
computing horsepower that it becomes feasible enough to literally devote
a mind to each problem/task.