(urth) (no subject)

maru marudubshinki at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 15:04:05 PST 2005

To which the hoary old Oriental Sun-Tzu replies: 'To win without
winning; that could be called a win.'  Not needing to use a tool is the
highest use tools.  Or, Not-use is not the same as not using.
And as far as Searle goes, I think he falls into the trap of the
No-true-Scotsman fallacy: But he talks like a Scot, eats like a Scot,
looks like one what with the kilt and hair, his parents and
grand-parents were Scots...' 'Bah! He's no true Scotsman.'  Which is to
say, he practically says that intelligence is something that biologicals
do, and obviously no Turing machine can be biological, QED AI is a
delirious fantasy.  Or, historically, intelligence is a unique product
of a unique world-history and evolutionary sequence, therefore no
machine.... etc.
One last thing: tools aren't really a good test: they too are
extensional: remember, intelligent beings can use tools, but so can mere
mamals like anteaters and monkeys, and certain birds can even evolve
their technology/tools.  So  a better test would be to try to test the
capacity that allows tool use.

~Maru
It's been entirely too long since I read 5HC; take my words with a grain
of salt- preferably sea salt, better flavour.