(urth) (no subject)

maru marudubshinki at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 13:31:29 PST 2005

This doesn't actually have anything to do with the issue, but I've
always thought the true subtlety of the Turing test usually
goes unappreciated: What the Turing Test asserts is that there is no way
to perform all the operations of intelligence,
in any way simpler and more mechanical than actual intelligence.
Intelligence is incompressible, if you will. Or, intelligence
is defined extensionally, not intentionally.
Oh wait, I've thought of a point: Tool-using is a skill. Not
intelligence in and of itself.  So, when you test AI, do you ask it to
use a
inclined plane, pully and other bric-a-brac to prove its intelligence,
or do you test its imaginativeness and other logical potential?

~Maru