(urth) Ormsby, Michael

mournings glory mourningsglory at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 15 22:28:15 PST 2005

Mr Bollen, seconding Mr. Rabin's post, writes:

>My guess is that by "both of mine" he means "both my name here, and my name
>in America". So Arthur and Able.

But we already know the narrator's being called Able, so why conceal it? And
how does "Able" connect with the other names mentioned, which all seem to be
somehow associated with Arthuriana? As the brilliant Mr Arimani has earlier
noted, the name Arthur is deducible from various clues (he's also right, I
believe, about the structure of _The Wizard Knight_ being circular, which is
why _The Wizard_ [ note its placement in the overall series title] should
almost be read first). What I'm trying to ascertain is if the name Ormsby is
similarly deducible, and if so, how.

Also, was anyone else bothered by Gary Wolfe's boneheaded revelation of
Able's real name in the first paragraph of his Locus review? Gene Wolfe
thought it important enough not to reveal it until the very last two words
of the series, so obviously he did not want it disclosed any earlier; and
yet this is exactly what Dr. Wolfe does. A pox on all reviewers who fail to
provide spoiler warnings!

I have a couple of weeks before I mail in my Hugo nominations, but wonder
how the WorldCon administrators will treat Wolfe's latest two books: as
separate novels or a single book. Anybody out there know?

msg

*Otium sine litteris mors est.*