(urth) Ormsby, Michael

Andrew Bollen abollen at internode.on.net
Sat Jan 15 05:58:59 PST 2005

Could have missed it, but haven't noticed anyone giving the place name
definition of "Ormsby" courtesy of google: "Village of the Worm/Dragon".
(The real Ormsby in northern England is apparently more likely to have been
founded by a Viking named Orm, ie Dragon, apparently a common enough name
for Vikings.)

"Art Ormsby" then translates to "Art from Dragonville". Griffonford sounds
pretty much like Dragonville in Mag's little passage in the Room of Lost
Loves - with only Black Bethold and a couple of others resisting Setr &
Grengarm. If that's a connection we're supposed to draw, I find it more
confusing than anything. If Art's surname is Ormsby, then it's probably also
his father's. I think we know that his mother or some version of her went to
Griffonford from America, but are we also to suppose that his father (or
some version of him) went *from* Griffonford *to* America?

You never know with Wolfe whether you're loading too much on to little
things, or not enough.

Unrelated, but I've also missed any mention of Michael as the commander of
the host of God in the First Battle and/or the Last Battle. In the second,
he slays the Great Worm Satan. He's clearly an appropriate patron for Art.