(urth) chesterton

Chris rasputin_ at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 11 15:44:10 PST 2005

Certainly there is a bit that goes on in this list that borders on
conspiracy theory. On the other hand it is often quite obvious that his
texts are carefully crafted to produce a wealth of interpretations - some of
which he definitely seems to have had in mind, and others he could not have
foreseen.

If you like Eco's work then there is a very small book called
"Interpretation and Overinterpretation" that really makes some good points
that apply to Wolfe, and this list. Sometime in aeons past I blathered on
for a paragraph or two about that book on the list, but I'm not sure it ever
got captured in the archives.

In any event the problem with accusing anyone on this list of
"overinterpretation" is that Wolfe obviously intends the reader to look
deeper and even, on occasion, to reject straightforward statements from his
narrator, etc. Because we as interpreters are aware of this intention, and
know we can't "understand" the text without taking it into account, we are
in effect deliberately encouraged to engage in a strategy of interpretation
that's likely to produce exactly this kind of "overinterpretation".

-- Civet