(urth) Orwell on Chesterton

Andy Robertson andywrobertson at clara.co.uk
Tue Jan 11 13:48:19 PST 2005

> I don't recall the paeans to gun ownership and supply-side economics in
> Exodus from the Long Sun; however, Wolfe's comments on contemporary-ish
> politics are reliably conservative, but his works, to me at least, seem
> less than approving of corporate capitalism.

There is no linkage between Catholic Conservatism and a support for
"corporate capitalism".   Quite the reverse.  "Conservatism" in its origin
stands for the conserving the traditonal rights of the little guy against
the big guy who would enslave him, whether banker, lawyer or landowner: and
the Catholic church was a pillar of this conservation and its one effective
arm.

But you'll never understand if I call it Conservatism, because neither
conservatism nor the Catholic Church are trying to conserve any of this
today

Where do I begin?

I hate to say it, but I realise again just how very much Wolfe owes to
Chesterton.

.