(urth) Re: urth-urth.net Digest, Vol 5, Issue 15

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 12:55:01 PST 2005

> What is exactly insulting Orwell's opinion or my own?
Yours.

Specifically:

"A man so lacking in thought and intellect he converted to
Catholicism when in his 40's."

While stated as a remark on Chesterton, it is in fact a general
remark on the intellegence of anyone who converts to
Catholicism, and especially in their 40s. (Which - by the
way - does not take an apostrophe.)

>  To whom is it insulting?

To me and anyone else who voluntarily embraces Catholicism
after a great deal of thought.

> Why is it insulting?

I refuse to insult you by assuming that you are too dim to figure
it out yourself from teh clues given.

> People has been denouncing religion and the church
> for a long time now,

There is also a lengthy tradition of denouncing blacks as
half-animals, jews as greedy Christ-killers, atheists as
closed-minded bigots, etc. An insult repeated for
a long time does not become less insulting thereby.

--Dan'l
--
www.livejournal.com/users/sturgeonslawyer
Freedom has no barcode.