(urth) Why Berthold looks like Ben

Andrew Bollen abollen at internode.on.net
Tue Jan 11 04:01:28 PST 2005

At the end of Wizard, when Art is wearing his magic helm. I think that
previously, Berthold would have looked like Berthold, helm or no. Art wears
the helm a lot and Berthold is around, in all of the fighting leading up to
this; and the appearance of Ben in place of Berthold after the River Battle
is obviously a surprise.

The big change is Art's healing of Bert, in which "it took a lot to restore
the thing he had left in a pond, so long ago." We know that Art doesn't have
the power to restore the dead. I think the point here is that the "thing"
which Ben lost in the pond is indeed dead. To restore him, Able has had to
replace it with something taken from or copied from (a memory of?) Ben,
though it seems that Art himself doesn't realize this.