(urth) Parka

Alice K. Turner aturner6 at nyc.rr.com
Thu Jan 6 11:53:29 PST 2005

So far as I know, Wolfe has said nothing about her. My assumption comes from
her name (we know the names of the Norns--Skull, Urd and Verthandi), her
description (hair and teeth), her powers, her elevation (Kleos) and her solo
status. Here is what "Goddesses in World Mythology" (Ann, Imel) has to say
about Berchta or Perchta: "'White Lady.' the spinner of destiny who wears a
mantle of snow. She presides over plows, plants, spinners (whom she rewards
for diligence and punches of carelessness), and the souls of unborn
children. Her German counterparts are Holde and Holle. Like the Baba Yaga of
Eastern Europe, she has been demoted to an ugly, cannibalistic ogre who
kidnaps children. In Mecklenburg, she is called Frau Gude; in Holland her
name is Vrou-elde; in Bavaria it is Berche; Berchtli in Switzerland; and in
the Salzberg Mountain she is Perchta or Perchtel. See also Dame Wode, Erde.
Alt: Fraue Berchta, Frau Berte, Berte, Berkta, Bertha, Bertie, Berte,
Brechta, Eisenberta, Perchata, Perchet, Precht, Vrou-Elde, White Lady,
Yrou-Elde." Citations go back to Bonnerjea in 1927, who is also referenced
for the Norns, quite separately, as a type of disir and quite local compared
to Berchta.

-alga