(urth) ending and other stuff WK

stilskin acronus at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 6 08:49:48 PST 2005

I'm not sure, in the context of the WK universe, that
America is above Kleos.  I seem to recall a place
where Able muses that it is located sort of sideways
to Mythgarthr.  Of course, he might very well be wrong
about that!

One thing I kept thinking throughout was that Gene
Wolfe was the Most High God, as is every author in
terms of his/her fictional creations.  But I got the
feeling that Wolfe was setting up an analogy between
his creations and God's -- that we are fictional
characters in the mind of God who may, through our
actions, take on a reality we might not otherwise
possess.  I wonder if Able, at the end of the novel,
is not being taken by Michael to Able's America but,
rather, to ours . . .  That just as, in the Catholic
faith, virtuous souls receive the reward of rising to
a realer existence, in Heaven, so, too, does Able rise
(with Disiri)to an incarnation outside the pages of
the novel.

Paul

=====
http://www.sff.net/people/stilskin