(urth) Witch spirit and Tales of Silk and Horn

StoneOx17 at aol.com StoneOx17 at aol.com
Thu Jan 6 04:12:37 PST 2005

In a message dated 1/6/2005 12:15:10 AM Eastern Standard Time,
aramini1 at cox.net writes:

> B)
> I was reading a few posts called Tales of Silk and Horn and I wanted to say
> one small thing about that.  I think the simplest scheme to describe who
> inhabits Silk's body at any given point in the narrative is that Horn's
body dies
> on Green, his spirit is sent hurtling into Silk, whose spirit has been so
wounded
> (or has vacated his body) that it is no longer extent in the body.

> Then, the quest to find Silk actually ENDS when Horn gives his (ok, Silk's)
eye
> to Pig, allowing Silver Silk, who is a download of Silk from the mainframe
into
> Pig, to re-enter the body of Silk by escaping Pig's eye , creating
Silk+Horn.
> Then, Horn begins writing.  He says his goodbyes and leaves the body of
Silk,
> and then Silver Silk, who was never the real Silk, takes up the tale of
Horn and
> his death at the beginning of In Green's Jungles, but denies that he is
Silk until
> he is forced into it, so that in the text, Silk admits that he is in fact
Silk at
> about the same place that Silver Silk is freed from Pig and placed in
Silk's body.

Let me say that I really like this idea.  Does this make up for my trying to
demolish your circular interpretation of WK in my last post?

> So it is a copy of a copy of Silk that we are left with, like the copy of a
copy of
> Severian at the end of Urth.

But couldn't this be the real Silk now?  Are souls subject to mechanical
manipulation and physical laws, or does the Outsider have direct authority
over them?