(urth) ending and other stuff WK

aramini1 at cox.net aramini1 at cox.net
Wed Jan 5 21:38:47 PST 2005

I only have about 36 more messages to read before I'm caught up, so forgive me if someone has said this.

It seemed pretty clear to me at the end of the Wizard Knight that Able is going back to the missing years of his childhood with Desiri, the part between leaving the log cabin and showing up on the island where he planted the spiny orange. (The years when he would have grown up to be the man he was acelerated into)

The Wizard EXPLICITLY states that Able watches himself plant the spiny orange during his time in Skai, and Michael also explicitly states Able was the only person on the island when the knight appears - this means that Able has, in some fashion, been freed from the passage of time.

Able is going back to his childhood at the end, the lost time that was taken from him.  The great lord whose service will be required is Arnthnor, and Able will go on to forget everything that happened.  The book is a big circle.  But it isn't the first Wolfe book to work like that.

Maybe someone said that - I'll see either tonight or tomorrow when I catch up.

Marc

(PS - Anyone notice Sir Marc in the last chapters? Throwing rocks at the throngs and starting the final battle?)